Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wow! What a blast! We went on safari this weekend and saw the big five: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, and the White Rhino. We stayed at the Masai Mara Safari Club owned by Fairmont Hotels (they own the Plaza and the Savoy). Needless to say this was no pup tent. We slept in luxury and could watch the hippos swimming down the river from the deck of our tent. We went on three safaris a day; one early 6:30-8:30 then breakfast, 10:30-12:30 then lunch, 3:30-6:30 then dinner. We did a lot of riding around looking for animals. The first day we saw giraffes, elephants, and lions. Today we finally saw the leopard, he was being stalked by a lioness and she chased him up a tree. We took so many wonderful pictures and we are anxious to share them. I will try to put some of them on picasaweb but the others I will upload when we get back so I will have a faster connection. I will warn you of this; if you get motion sickness or car sick this is not the adventure for you! We were on the bumpiest road I have ever travelled for long periods of time. I can usually read a book in the back of a car while traveling but even I was starting to get a little quesy by the end. In addition, it took us three hours to get to the safari club, two of those on a washed out, ravine infested, mud pit of a road! It had just rained the night before our trip and we got stuck! The driver unloaded us all and made us push the van out of the mud. It made for a great memory and picture! Brett got some sort of stomach virus yesterday (or maybe he was just really motion sick) and had to ride the whole way back to Tenwek jacked up on Bonine and Phenergan. He is doing better now but the trip really wiped him out! Overall, we had a blast. We had great site seeing, posh tent living, and delicious food!

2 comments:

leigh ann said...

That sounds AMAZING!!! You guys are going to have the most incredible memories from this!

Johnson Boys said...

Wow sounds like a ton of fun.. I cant wait to see the pictures.